Thursday, December 10, 2015

El Niño and The Who

This December El Niño weather touched off something in the memory bank. Forty years ago I was a freshman at University of Kentucky. The Who was coming to Cincinnati and nobody in my circle had a car. Each of us took turns calling the local fm rock station to convince the station to take a bus there. They had done it before with other concerts-- for a combined fee they would give you a ticket and a spot on the charter-- the Bozo Bus it was called. It worked. The week of the concert, the temperature was in the mid-sixties. I remember walking to classes in shorts that day. 
The bus ride was a blast--it was truly the Magic Bus. I remember the driver saying, "If you all keep up what you're doing back there, I'm going to get high, and I don't think you want that."
We had nose-bleed seats but it didn't matter-- this was an amazing concert. Toots and the Maytals opened although most of the stupid crowd booed and threw things at them. Townshend came out and chewed out the idiots. The Who opened with Can't Explain, played the hits from Who's Next, introduced one of the first ever laser light shows during a Tommy medley, and even brought out the best of the Live at Leeds set. Keith Moon was great! 
As we got back on the bus a heavy snow began to fall. The hour and a half ride to Lexington was like a dream. This was only my third concert and despite being an arena show, I long considered it my favorite of all time. 
Here is the set:

No comments:

Post a Comment